Background. The purpose of the research is to compare the images of the 1917 revolution, and its consequences in the American press, and in the emigre prose published in the US in the period from 1917 to 1933.
Materials and methods. To achieve this goal a variety of materials of the Russian and foreign researchers were used, the works of famous American journalist George Reed, A. R. Williams, T. Dreiser and F. Della and novels by A. Rand were examined. The main research method was comparative analysis, which included the principles of historicism, objectivity and consistency, revealed the content side of the issue and the scientific approach to sources.
Results. The study of the works by Russian emigrant A. Rand and American journalists, materials of socio-political daily newspapers “New York Evening Post” and “New York Times”, “Vanity Fair” magazine and “The Saturday Evening Post” made it possible to trace the specifics of the formation of the image of Russia in the United States after the 1917 revolution.
Conclusions. The sources allow us to trace the process of formation of Russia’s image in the United States in the period from 1917 to 1933, to identify the reasons why the American public took the revolution of 1917 and its aftermath positively.
1. Tret'yachenko E. A. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University]. 2009, no. 8, pp. 156–166.
2. Payps R. Russkaya revolyutsiya [Russian revolution]. Moscow: Zakharov, 2005.
3. Trotskiy L. D. Predannaya revolyutsiya. Chto takoe SSSR i kuda on idet? [Betrayed revolution. What is USSR and where is it going?]. Moscow: Kniga po trebovaniyu, 2016.
4. Listikov S. V. Otechestvennaya istoriya [Russian history]. 2007, no. 1, pp. 63–77.
5. Budaev E. V., Chudinov A. P. Politicheskaya lingvistka [Political linguistics]. 2010,no. 2, pp. 26–31.
6. Yuzefovich N. G. Politicheskaya lingvistika [Political linguistics]. 2012, no. 4,pp. 242–248.
7. Stepun F. A. Sochineniya [Works]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2000.
8. Litvinova V. I. Okayannye dni v zhizni I. A. Bunina [Damned days in the life of I. A. Bunin]. Abakan: Svetoch, 1995.
9. Buhle P. Marxism in the USA: From 1870 to the Present Day. London: Verso, 1987.
10. Losev S. A. Zarubezhnaya pechat': Kratkiy spravochnik. Gazety. Zhurnaly. Informatsionnye agentstva [Foreign press: Brief reference. Newspapers. Magazines. Information agencies]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1986.
11. Average Total Paid & Verified Circulation for Top 100 ABC Magazines. Magazine Publishers of America. Available at: http://www.magazine.org/insights-resources/researchpublications/trends-data/magazine-industry-facts-data/2008-average-total (accessed February 21, 2017).
12. McKible A. The Space and Place of Modernism: Little Magazines, The Russian Revolution and New York. Abingdon: Routledge, 2002.
13. Petrov P. S. Voprosy istorii [Hitorical problems]. 1987, no. 10, pp. 202–211.
14. The Liberator. 1918, no. 1, p. 43.
15. Reed J. The Liberator. 1918, no. 1, pp. 14–21.
16. Rid Dzh. Desyat' dney, kotorye potryasli ves' mir [Ten days that shook the world]. Moscow: Kniga po trebovaniyu, 2011.
17. Vil'yams A. R. Puteshestvie v revolyutsiyu. Rossiya v ogne Grazhdanskoy voyny. 1917–1918 [A journey to the revolution. Russia in the Civil War fire. 1917–1918]. Moscow:Tsentrpoligraf, 2006.
18. Dearborn M. V. Queen of Bohemia: The Life of Louise Bryant. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1996.
19. Williams A. R. The Liberator. 1920, no. 29.
20. Bryant L. Six Red Months in Russia. New York: George H. Doran Company, 1918.
21. Gardner V. Friend and Lover: The Life of Louise Bryant. New York: Horizon Press,1982.
22. Gelb B. So Short a Time: A Biography of John Reed and Louise Bryant. New York:W. W. Norton & Company, 1973.
23. Yuzefovich N. G., Ignat'eva I. G. Politicheskaya lingvistika [Political linguistics]. 2015,no. 3 (53), pp. 260–267.
24. Dell F. The Liberator. 1922, no. 46, p. 29.
25. Baturin S. Drayzer [Dreiser]. Moscow: Molodaya gvardiya, 1975.
26. Drayzer T. Sobranie sochineniy: v 12 t. T. 12: Rasskazy, stat'i i vystupleniya [Collected works: in 12 volumes. Vol. 12: Stories, articles and speeches]. Moscow: Pravda, 1973.
27. Peikoff L. Introduction to the 60th Anniversary Edition. We the Living. New York:A Signet Book, 1995.
28. Grigorovskaya A. V. Politicheskaya lingvistika [Political linguistics]. 2016, no. 55,pp. 144–150.
29. Toffler A. Playboy Magazine. 1964, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 55–62.
30. Rand A. My zhivye [We are alive]. Moscow: Al'pina Pablisher, 2016.
31. Vil'gotskiy A. Kto takaya Ayn Rend? [Who is Ayn Rand]. Moscow: AST, 2015.